Sunday, October 14, 2012

Vegan? Not quite!

Hi Dad

Yesterday you asked me if I am a vegan. The simple answer is no. I am working on it...striving to be better. If one wanted to label me, I guess they might label me lacto-ovo vegetarian, because at times I still have a little cheese (feta on my veggie burger last night) and occasionally an egg. Ice cream is still on my menu in much smaller amounts and far less frequently.

I want to be able to think one day that I have become vegan. I say "think" because I don't find it necessary or wise to declare I am either "this or that.". It is not up for discussion...because the minute one makes a declaration there will always be someone who wants to challenge or criticize... Like the Amish who are criticized (and often without reason) my way of living is no one else's concern...EXCEPT...if they choose to learn something about how I live...and how I eat.

Why do I want to become vegan? For health reasons, of course...to do my part in lessening my impact on the environment by the choices I make...and because I am appalled by the reports of animal cruelty that are surfacing. Lastly, I want to live the last chapter of my life in a gentler manner.

It has taken me a year to get as far as I am in this journey...thanks to you. You taught me one lesson that I have not forgotten, and won't..."moderation in all things!".

PS- I have a bowl of crockpot VEGAN soup for your supper! Wayne will have a bowl of ham soup. I'll let you decide!

Love always,

Muff
Xox

No comments:

Post a Comment